The role of open standards and free software in bringing
the choice of Net TV To Italians' sofas
Specialists in the sector discuss the move convergence of PC and TV, through IPTV and media centers, and the role of open standards and free software to maximize users freedom, as well as the full realization of its potential demand for connectivity and net services.
The Telematics Freedom Foundation will distribute a new Report on the state-of-the-art in FLOSS (free/open source) Media Centers, and much more.
WHEN: October 15, 2008
|Chairperson|| Arturo Di Corinto |
Prof. Communication Science - University of Rome La Sapienza
|Introduction:||Rufo Guerreschi |
Telematics Freedom Foundation and Rome's Audiovisual Telematics District
|Video: FLOSS Media Center Remix |
Advertising the User Interface for some Media Centers featured in TFF Comparison Chart
| Mario Morcellini - Sapienza, University of Rome |
Dean of the Faculty of Communication Science
|Robert Castrucci - ISIMM |
"IPTV, User-Generated Contents and the Long Tail"
|Shane Coughlan - Free Software Foundation Europe |
"The implication of Free Software licenses for the future of IPTV"
|Michele Mezza – RAI Technology Strategies, Vice Director |
"Open IPTV for dissemination and use of public audiovisual heritage"
|Special Guest: |
Giulia Rodano – Counselor for Culture, Entertainment and Sport, Lazio Region
|Giacomo Mazzone – European Broadcasting Union |
"Free access from your living room to national public audiovisual archives"
|Luigi Capriotti - XBMC Live |
"Hands-on demo on XBMC Atlantis and XBMC Live"
Joe Born - CEO Neuros Technology
|Q&A Sessiom |
|-- Lunch (coffee, juice and snaks will be served during lunch time) -- |
|Andrea Barsotti - Tiscali IPTV |
"IPTV 2.0: Walled Garden or Open Garden?"
|Alessandra Poggiani – Director LaitSpa, professor of Interactive Marketing Communications at La Sapienza "The opportunities of IP-TV for information and services to citizens"|
| Rossella Lehnus - Italian Ministry for Economic Development and Communications |
"New measures to guarantee net neutrality"
|Q&A Session |
|Sergio Bellucci - Associazione Demote |
"TV Legislation and liberalizaton via Internet"
|Fabrizio Caffarelli - TVBlob |
"TVBlob Box: Open Internet TV Box"
| Gianpiero Gamaleri - University Roma Tre |
Professor in Sociology of Communication, TV and multimedia
|Shane Coughlan - Free Software Foundation Europe |
| Dave Mathews - Boxee |
"BOXEE Demo: The open source, connected, social Media Center"
Trasparent Telematics Demo and Debate
We have photos and full video of the Innovation Festival, held between the 7th and 10th of June, 2007 in Rome.
The Festival was held in the area surrounding Piazza Augusto Imperatore, and particularly, within the new Ara Pacis Museum complex - work of the internationally renowned architect Richard Meier - a prestigious venue with a high communicative, historical and architectural impact.
The Lazio Region counted with the sponsorship of the Department of Consumer Rights and Simplification of Administrative Procedures as well as the Municipality of Rome to realize this event with thousands of people and raise two main issues: what do we really mean when we talk about innovation? And, are we really sure that innovation is limited to purely technological fields?
The Telematics Freedom Foundation presented a session with experts in the segment to discuss Privacy, Vote and Electronic Participation. Watch the full debate here:
The cube contained multiple keypad locks (fictitious for the sake of demonstration) to secure the server running the Free Telematic Services and needed to support the Access Policies the foundation is promoting.
- 11-Jun:Richard Stallman gives a talk about "Free Digital Society" in Manchester, UK (2012-06-26)
- 11-Jun:Richard Stallman gives a talk about "Free Software and education" in Marly-le-Roi, France (2012-06-27)
- 11-Jun:Richard Stallman gives a talk about "The New Techonological Models" in Vigo, Spain (2012-07-06)
- 11-Jun:Richard Stallman gives a talk about "Free software, GNU and GCC" in Prague, Czeck Republic (2012-07-09)
- 11-Jun:Richard Stallman gives a talk about "Copyright vs. Community" in Camden, UK (2012-06-22)
- 11-Jun:Richard Stallman gives a talk about "The Free Software Movement and the GNU/Linux Operating System" in Leicester, UK (2012-06-23)
- 11-Jun:Monthly Fellowship meeting in Vienna, Austria (2012-06-15)
- 11-Jun:FSFE at Richard Stallman's talk in Dresden (2012-07-10)
- 11-Jun:"An endangered species: computer as a universal machine", Konstanz, Germany (2012-06-11)
- 11-Jun:FSFE at RMLL 2012 (2012-07-07 - 2012-07-08)
- 10-Jun:The Defensive Patent License and Other Ways to Beat the Patent System
- 08-Jun:Richard Stallman gives a talk about "Copyright vs. Community" in Munich (2012-07-11)
- 08-Jun:World's Largest Organization for Computer Professionals Comes Out Against CISPA
- 08-Jun:Open Access Victory in Successful Access2Research Petition
- 07-Jun:The Cybersecurity Act (S. 2105) Threatens Online Rights - a Handout for Your Senator
- 07-Jun:What What!: Appeals Court Affirms South Park Parody Was Obvious Fair Use
- 07-Jun:US Government Still Insisting It Can’t Be Sued Over Warrantless Wiretapping
- 07-Jun:This Week in Internet Censorship: Tiananmen Square Censorship, Libya's Article 37, Malaysia's Backslide, Kuwaiti Repression, and a Hunger Strike in Tunisia
- 04-Jun:EFF Tells CA Supreme Court Warrantless DNA Collection Unconstitutional
- 04-Jun:Why Facebook's Network Effects are Overrated